Your pearly whites happen to be one of the first things that people notice in you. It is for this reason that you have to take good care of your oral health.One of the greatest enemies of your oral health happens to be the cavities. Hence one of the foremost ways to take care of your oral health is to learn to keep cavities at bay. The bacteria in your mouth give rise to kind of a sticky plaque on the teeth. This eventually leads to cavities. As you consume the foods and drinks, the bacteria use the sugars. Acid becomes one of the by-products of this. The sticky plaque is responsible for holding the acids and the teeth get affected when the enamel is attacked by this acid.
So here are some steps to protect the teeth from the cavities.
- Brush Twice a Day for a Couple of Minutes – You should brush the teeth for a couple of minutes everyday. This will keep the teeth in the best condition. Brushing the teeth and the tongue with fluoride toothpaste and using a soft-bristled toothbrush for cleaning the bacteria and the food from the mouth can help to prevent cavities. Brushing also washes out the particles that are responsible for causing cavities and harm the teeth.
- Floss Between the Teeth – The food debris can get caught in between the teeth when you eat. If the debris is not removed it can lead to cavities. Using an inter-dental cleaner or flossing is the best way for removing the food debris from in between the teeth.
- Ensure You Visit the Dentist on a Regular Basis – The professional tooth cleanings and regular oral exams should be scheduled at least twice a year. If you have a specific case that needs more attention or are prone to dental issues, then your family dentist may recommend going for more frequent visits.
- Limit the Sipping and Snacking – Drinking or eating a little here and there throughout the day puts the teeth under consistent attacking mode. This is especially the case when you eat the sugary foods. The bacteria in the mouth feeds off the sugar and carbs and eventually give rise to an acid that destroys the tooth enamel. To tackle this, you have to drink plenty of water and keep snacking in between the bites. Apart from that, you should keep the intake of snacks to the minimum.
- Eat Healthy – There are foods that are great for the teeth just like the heart-healthy diet reduces the chances of heart ailment, there are foods that have proven to be beneficial for the teeth. Some of these foods include fresh fruits, cheese, unsweetened tea, vegetables and sugar-free gums. Everyone of these foods have certain properties that are good for your teeth.
- Use Mouthwash – You will get several antimicrobial mouthwashes present in the mouthwash that are clinically proven to reduce cavities by decreasing the build-up of plaque. You should start rinsing with anyone of them after eating or brushing in order to reduce cavity.
- Opt for Sealants – The dental sealants happen to be a protective coating to the back-tooth’s biting surface. The sealant helps protecting the tooth from developing a cavity by shielding form the bacteria and the plaque. The sealants are more common in the kids as they grow the new permanent teeth. But they are highly beneficial for the adults as well.
- Have a Chat with Your Dentist – If you are not sure about all the options of preventing the tooth decay and the onslaught of ailments and bacteria then you should seek advice from your dentist whom you can find by typing in “dentist near my location” on your search engine who can make the recommendations specific to your needs and you can achieve an award-winning gentle smile.
The above are some of the ways in which you can prevent the development of cavities in your mouth and ensure that you have a great oral health for years to come.
Sawoni Chowdhury is an aficionado of writing. She is an expert writer and blogger and shares her views and opinions on a range of topics such as Lifestyle, Business, Entertainment and lot more.